Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast
Write a review
- 3-4 lb chuck roast (the better the meat, the better the result)
- 3-4 C high quality beef broth
- 1/2 medium or 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp rosemary (or to taste)
- 1 tsp thyme (or to taste)
- bay leaf
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chuck roast into generous portion-sized pieces. Dust with salt and pepper to taste. Add olive oil to a pan. When the oil is very hot, sear on each side for 1-2 minutes. You will probably need to do this in batches to prevent the temperature from dropping too much. Add prepared meat to slow cooker.
- In the same oil, sautée the onion. When done, evenly distribute among meat in slow cooker.
- Add broth to slow cooker until meat is mostly covered, but not completely submerged. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf evenly over mixture.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours, until meat is tender and all connective tissues have dissolved. Any remaining fat deposits should be soft.
- You can make gravy from the roasting liquid, if desired.